If you’ve been meaning to paint your garage floor but haven’t yet, then you need to read this for a little motivation. It’s not that hard to rid yourself of that dull gray, spot laden, and dusty looking eyesore in your garage. All it takes is a little bit of work – no prior experience necessary. If you can clean a floor and know how to use a paint brush and roller, then you have all the experience necessary to get the job done. Since you have already been thinking about it, we decided to put together a list of the 7 reasons why you should paint your garage floor. Read on!
- It helps to keep your garage and cars clean. Most people don’t realize that a good majority of the dust that is deposited on your cars, workbenches, laundry machines, and storage items comes from the concrete itself. Bare concrete can be a dust factory. It slowly breaks down into microscopic dust particles every time you walk on it, drive on it, or even sweep it. This dust easily becomes airborne the moment air movement is presented such as your garage door opening, walking, or pulling a car in or out. This dust then settles on everything in your garage. This is all prevented with a simple coating of paint on the surface of your garage floor.
- It’s easy to keep clean. All it takes is a simple dust mop to run over the entire floor – that’s it! Since the concrete has been rendered dustless with the coating of paint, you will accumulate much less dirt on the surface and the smooth finish easily cleans up.
- It helps to keep the inside of your home clean. Concrete harbors dust and dirt in its pores to be collected by shoes and bare feet. With a coating of paint on the surface, that dust, dirt, and grime won’t collect on the floor because it’s so easy to keep clean. As a result, much less dirt gets tracked into the house, especially if you have children.
- Moderate to good floor protection. Depending on which type of paint you choose, your concrete will now be resistant to oil stains, chemicals, water, mold, and mildew. Oil can we wiped right up without the fear of it staining the floor. Tougher spills can be cleaned up with a sponge and a little detergent or cleaning agent. You should never have that spot riddled garage floor again.
- It is light reflective. One of the first things that people notice is that the garage seems to be brighter. Bare concrete tends to absorb light while a painted surface does a better job of reflecting it. As a result, the reflective light tends to brighten the garage.
- It’s cheap to do. Concrete floor paint is inexpensive and the two-part epoxy paints for a two-car garage can be purchased for less than $70. If you are on a budget then this is the coating for you. It costs more to fill your car up a couple of times than it does for the materials to paint your garage floor.
- It looks good! There is no denying that a painted floor completely changes the look of a garage. More and more people utilize this space as an added room to the home. Make it something you can be proud of when you see it every day instead of shuddering over the looks of it.
Remember; don’t forget to do a quick and easy moisture test before you decided to start your project. Applying this type of coating to your garage floor is easy and inexpensive, but it does take some work. You do have to take the steps to clean your concrete properly and plan on a weekend to get the project done.
If you are worried about repairing areas of your floor, it’s not necessary but it isn’t that hard to do. Just the paint alone makes a big difference in the maintenance and looks of your garage. And if it’s in your budget, a two-part epoxy paint kit will last over twice as long as standard latex acrylic paints.